What are Header Tags
Before the internet, we used to read news papers, magazines to find out current affairs and information. We all have heard the word “Headlines”. After the internet revolution, “Headlines” converted into “Header Tags”. It is not wrong if we call header tags as virtual headlines. Drafting content and representing it with better indications and visualization is good practice. It looks great with content. But how can you make the search engines understand the formatting? To solve this problem we can use the HTML Tags to define content formatting. We can use tags to define Title, Heading, Paragraph, font color and text type (bold, italic or strike out). These tags make crawlers to differentiate between the content types and read it according to your representation. Every tag has its own value. Be it title tags, heading tags or paragraph tags.
Given below are examples of Header Tags
HTML headings are defined with the <h1> to <h6> tags:
<h1>Website Heading 1</h1>
<h2>Website Heading 2</h2>
<h3>Website Heading 3</h3>
<h4>Website Heading 4</h4>
<h5>Website Heading 5</h5>
<h6>Website Heading 6</h6>
Importance of header tags
Header tags are the basic HTML tags. These are used to identify content headings and subheadings within your written content from other text types i.e. paragraph text. Search engines recognize the copy in your header tags as more important than the rest. These are important for search engine crawlers to understand structured content and read content systematically. We can do formatting to make humans understand the color, headings, paragraphs and other visual presentation but in order to make search engine crawlers understand the organized data, we have to use these HTML Tags.
How to create perfect Header Tags:
- While creating header tags, you should keep few things in your mind.
- Tags should be grammatically correct.
- Do not over stuff heading with keywords.
- Put the target keyword in Header tags (Make sure to use one keyword to which is focused on your written content).
- Relate tags with page title.
- Focus on H1, H2 and H3 as they have more SEO value.
- Try using synonyms or similar words of H1 in H2 or H3
- Placement of tags should be right and relevant. I.e. using header tags before the paragraph is considered as best practice. Using them in the middle of information is not recommended.
- Try using unique header tags for different pages.
As you can see above, I’ve used H1, H2 and H3 header tags because they have the better SEO (Search Engine Optimization) value. If you go through Google Accessibility, then you can find given below information on heading tags.
Hope this would help you to understand the importance of H1, H2 and H3 tags. Stay tuned for more SEO answers. Do comment below your feedback on this information.